Friday, November 10, 2006

Pet Shop Boys @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, 7 Nov 2006

pet shop boys

I love the Pet Shop Boys. The only group whose fan club I've been a member of. The Smiths you can dance to as Neil once said. One of the few extant groups that I would go to a seated concert for.

This was a very theatrical performance, with an interval and ushers. Chris Lowe was on stage the whole time with a keyboard but its not clear he was actually playing anything. Three singers and two dancers, with enough costume changes that they seemed like a whole troupe. Minimal stage set that was continually being reconfigured.

Neil isn't a strong singer, but I preferred it when the backup singers didn't support him. I like to hear his Rex Harrison singing/speaking. So why go to a seated concert which will be the same every night (apart from some heartfelt appreciation for San Francisco, we expect nothing less)? Really it would be better and cheaper to watch a DVD.

But I love them, and "The Sodom and Gomorrah Show" from their new CD is another classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment