Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Bullitt

My sad attempts to reconnect with my childhood continue with a viewing of Bullitt (1968). This was filmed on location in San Francisco and sadder people than I have detailed explanations of where it was shot. I think the key element was realism, the hospital scenes (filmed on location at SF General) are great. But the best thing in the movie is the car chase. Obviously nowadays we have more complex car chases but this one, filmed on the streets of SF, is astonishingly realistic. I did notice the continuity mistake with the green volkswagon but I was on the edge of my seat as the cars crunch their way through (random parts of) the city. Steve McQueen is ace too. By modern standards it's all a little slow moving but the car chase is a classic. I almost forgot to mention a great score by Lalo Schifrin.

1 comment:

  1. One thing I liked with Bullitt was the way he solves the crime by plodding procedural work. He doesn't play by his own rules.

    The slimy politician guy struck me as worryingly realistic.

    ReplyDelete